Policy Development Senior Officer
Application forms can be downloaded at the bottom of this page and all applications must be sent to [email protected].
The role will be based between a combination of Home workings and Alba’s Glasgow office.
Grade A3 –Competitive Dependent on Experience
12 months fixed term contract
34 - Job Sharing will be considered
Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5 pm & Friday 9 am to 4 pm
30 days annual leave plus public holidays
Policy Development Senior Officer (12 Month Contract) - JOB DESCRIPTION
PRIMARILY REPORTS TO: General Secretary
FUNCTIONAL DAY TO DAY REPORTS TO: General Secretary
ALBA SALARY GRADE: A3
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB: The role will lead on the Party’s policy Development initiatives to help the party develop new policies that will form proposals from the party for inclusion in manifestos. The role holder will have responsibility for drafting the party’s annual policy document as well as liaising with stakeholders and conducting wider research to inform policy development.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This job description is not a complete listing of all duties but contains the key elements of the role.
- To work with the Policy Development assistant to develop policy papers and commission expert research to inform policy development.
- To build relationships with key stakeholders to ensure the Party’s policy work is relevant and appropriately focused.
- To participate in events, seminars and other outreach activities organised by or supported by the Party with public authorities, governments, the private sector and civil society, to help aid policy development based on the requirements of the public to achieve goals identified by the party eg Poverty Reduction, Creation of a Public Energy Company etc
- To conduct policy research as required.
- To assist other members of staff on policy issues arising from their own areas of work and possible ways in which to proceed.
- To undertake training and personal development activity as agreed with the General Secretary.
- Line manage the Policy Development Support Assistant
Person Specification - Policy Development Senior Officer
|A demonstrable commitment to undertaking all training, with support and coaching being provided by the Party.
|Ability to work in a small team and provide leadership to colleagues.
|Experience of working to a high standard (accuracy and attention to detail) and within deadlines.
|Working in a membership organisation.
|At least 4 years of practical experience gained within the following: policy or research role, with exposure to the field politics; translating policy and research documents into comprehensible public / stakeholder information that is cogent to members of the public
|Understanding of political parties and how policies are development and then included in Party Manifestos for elections in Scotland.
|Knowledge of the relationships between the various spheres of Government in Scotland and how policy is developed then implemented by Scottish, Local, and UK Governments.
|Exceptional people skills with the ability to self-manage, and stay enthusiastic and motivated.
|Competent knowledge and use of IT skills (particularly Microsoft Excel)
|To collaboratively work as part of a team; supporting others to jointly achieve goals and targets.
|Ability to formulate clear, concise and coherent policies based on a detailed understanding of the spheres of Government in Scotland.
|Strong communication skills, including the ability to write clear and concise reports, and the confidence to present to public audiences.
|Accuracy and attention to detail.
|Educated to Degree Level or have a suitable of workplace experience in the above fields.
|Able to work unsocial hours including some weekend working where required.